I just sent my papers for a greencard after marriage, i applied for the travel permit so I can go to my wedding celebration in my home country on january 5th. Will i have any trouble coming back after ?

I just want to make sure I can attend my own
wedding in my home country.

Asked on July 4, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It takes about 3 months to get the travel permit so as long as you plan to travel after that period of time passes, you should be ok.  Also, without knowing the details of your status in the US prior to the filing for the green card, i cannot advise on whether it is safe or not for you to travel internationally.  Just getting the travel permit itself is not an indication that it is safe for YOU to travel.  That is something that needs to be evaluated by an immigration attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.