How to get my fiancee and her daughter permanent residency and green card

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get my fiancee and her daughter permanent residency and green card

Dear Sir,
I am an American citizen.
My fiancee is from Russia, she have 13 years old daughter.
Right now my fiancee is with me in California, she have tourist visa
until October When she came in to the USA she got approved to stay
until December 2017
Her daughter have tourist visa for 3 years but she is in Moscow
right now, with family members.
What do i need to do to get the daughter to the US as soon as
possible. And to get my fiancee and her daughter permanently
residence and green cards.
What are the recommended steps to achieve that?
Thanks for the help.

Asked on June 12, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I would suggest that if the daughter has a tourist visa and can enter the US that she do that.  Otherwise, you would have to petition for her mother first and only when the mother's green card is approved, you can then request a notification of the approval to be sent to the US Embassy in Moscow where the daughter would consular process for her immigrant visa.  This can take up to a year and she would not be able to enter the US as a visitor during that time.  Of course, in order to petition both the mother and the daughter, you have to be legally married first.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions.  I am a native Russian speaker and if your fiancee has any questions or concerns regarding this, I can also assist.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption