What are an employee’s rights regarding reporting to work in bad weather?

Recently my area was hit with a very bad hurricane and most businesses were closed due to the severe weather. However, I work in a hotel therefore it was open, that is until the power went out. Since I am a salaried employee and I went in for a half day as the weather was getting bad, the roads were closing etc. I left after working almost 4 hours and my employer docked my pay. Are they allowed to do this? On the day after the hurricane the hotel lost power. It was open still technically, which I believe it was not supposed to be, however I came in dressed and ready to go and there was no power. I work in the sales office. Should I be paid for this time.

Asked on November 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country all employees are to be paid for hours that they actually work for the employer. From what you have written, you are to be paid for the four (4) hours or so that you actually worked before being sent home. You do not get paid for travel to and from work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.