I have 2 inventions that I want to be separate companies but fall under a S-corp, do I incorporate the name of my S-Corp first then put my companies under that?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Business Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have two items key to a business that you want to do but want to create a corporation to run your operations under, you can create an S or C corporation or a limited liability company and contribute your inventions to whatever entity you decide to create as part of its capital contribution and in exchange for the stock that you receive.

The entity will then own the inventions and you would then own shares or mebership certificates in the entity you create. I suggest that you consult with a business attorney to further assist you in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.