If my children’s father hasn’t seen them in a year but won’t sign off his parental rights, will I be able to terminate his rights in court?

I have sole legal custody and sole legal placement of my children. My husband wants to adopt them.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that the Courts in the state of Wisconsin looks to determine if the Father maintains a "substantial parental relationship" with the child in an involuntary parental termination proceeding brought by the other parent. There will be a mandated fact finding portion of the proceeding and it is best to speak with an attorney in your area as to the specific facts of your case in relation to the case that brought this test to the table.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.