If I have not seen my husband in 14 years and am unsure if he filed for divorce, how do I find out?

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

That can indeed be a tough one.  Do you know his social security number and can you try and have him traced?  has it come down to the fact that you wish to finally put an end to the matter as well?  If you know where he lives then you can try and see if he filed for divorce in that state.  Many states have on line systes that permit you access to the court data base.  If he filed a long time ago then it may not be in there.  But if it were recent then it might.  Otherwise, you yourself can file for divorce in Virginia as long as you meet the residency requirements.  You can take the necessary steps to have him found and if you can not there are what is known as alternative methods of service like publishing in the newspaper.  They require a court order allowing it. Get help. Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.