If I’ve had my son in my physical custody for over 3 months, how I can get my joint custody turned into full custody?

Asked on November 15, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can file an Order to Show Cause (court form) requesting a change in custody.  With the Order to Show Cause, file a declaration supporting your request for a modification of custody.  Your declaration should state the facts in support of the modification of custody, and should be signed under penalty of perjury.  When you file an Order to Show Cause with the court, the court will schedule a hearing on this issue.  File your documents with the court with a proof of service, and serve your ex by mail with a copy of the documents.  You can either use a court form proof of service or you can write your own.  If you write your own proof of service, it just says that you are least eighteen years of age and the attached documents were sent via first class mail unless stated otherwise to ___________ (name and address of your ex) on ________ (date).  You sign and date at the bottom.  The date you sign should be the same as the date of mailing and the same date you file your documents with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.