What to do if we are moving out of our apartment and my ex-boyfriend is getting the security deposit?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we are moving out of our apartment and my ex-boyfriend is getting the security deposit?

My ex and I had a bad breakup and after 4 months of non-stop harassing phone calls and visits, I went to the local police and filed a report. They called him and told him not to contact me and also the office was not to speak to him. Unfortunately I did not get a restraining order. About a month after he was off the lease he told me he had worked out details with the office to get the deposit. The office says I agreed. I never signed anything or got a phone call or paper about it in the mail. We split the deposit but he wrote the check unfortunately. I just want to know how to handle this.He moved out last year.

Asked on March 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that you are entitled to a portion of the security deposit that your former boyfriend received from your former landlord, I would write him and the former landlord asking for what you believe is owed you. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. Ask for your portion by a stated date.

If you do not receive such by that date, youe option is to file a small claims court action against both seeking such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption