What to do if I have charges on my record of assault and possession in town that I have never been in?

On the dates that I was supposedly charged, I was in basic training in another state and the stattioned there. How do I get these charges off of my record?

Asked on February 7, 2013 under Criminal Law, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It sounds that there may be someone with the same name as yours or someone using your identity. I suggest that you go to the county court house where the charges against you have been filed and review the file. If there is a person with the same name as you, there is nothing you can do. If someone has used your name, then you need to consult with a criminal defense attorney to get the matter sorted out with the district attorney's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.