If I have been with my significant other for 25 years and he needs surgery, how do we get it so I can make medical decision if something comes up?

We are not legally married. Do we need to have something in writing?

Asked on November 27, 2015 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A durable power of attorney for healthcare will authorize you to make medical decisions for your significant other if he is unable to make those decisions.
Both of you sign the durable power of attorney for healthcare.  This particular power of attorney is only for health / medical issues.  It is NOT a power of attorney for financial matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.