How to permanently change the payee of my children’s support checks?

I have been seperated from my husband for about 4 years and both of our children (ages 7 and 13) live with me and always have. He’s been collecting disability for about 3 years on himself because he has Huntington’s disease and is also collecting their support but he never even sees them. I have had the payee on the case changed 3 or 4 times but he keeps changing it back to himself somehow. He doesn’t pay any type of support on them and they’ve only benefited maybe 6 months total. When he is payee they never see any of it and the state cut my foodstamps almost in half. Isn’t there something I can do to stop him? Because of a history of domestic abuse, he isn’t even allowed to know where we live.

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to change the payee status of the child support checks of your children the way it should be is to file a petition with the court seeking an order with respect to the family law matter that presumably has a court filing stating who the payee is for the child support checks you have written about. The way to do such is to consult with a family law attorney for assistance. If you cannot afford one, consult with your legal aid clinic for assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.