What to do if I have an outstanding warrant for my arrest in a neighboring state?

It is for DWI and dates back 13 years. I was, for years, under the impression that the charge had been dropped. Being that at the time I was charged I was not pulled over but instead I was turned in by a neighbor and arrested after being at a friends house drinking for over an hour. I have lived here in Minnesota and have had zero run ins with the law since moving to this state. I am married and my wife and I are expecting our first child. Is this something I could be extradited for? I am afraid to tell my wife because I do not know how she will react. All I want to do is get it taken care of but I do not want to plead guilty to DWI. Do you have any advice you can give me?

Asked on February 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


Matthew Majeski / Majeski Law, LLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I agree with counsel.  Your first step should be to seek out a Minnesota criminal defense attorney regarding the warrant.  He or she can provide you with information regarding the implications of your situation and advise you on courses of action.  In addition, he or she can represent you in court to try to minimize any sanctions against you.

Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello.  The problem you stated is actually not uncommon.  People facing a problem such as yours often are upset and worried to-the-core. Sometimes (and this is not necessarily your case) people present to the attorney aware that an active warrant exists and they are 'hiding from the law'.  I urge you immediately to seek counsel from an attorney of your choosing who is knowledgeable in criminal law matters.  The law recognizes that people who seek attorney help often are in difficult places in their lives and so a special protective confidentiality attaches to your communications and conversations with the attorney helping you.  I recommend that you telephone several attorneys in selecting the attorney, because it is critically important that you feel a sense of great safety and trust.  Based on what you described, it is my opinion that the sooner you seek private attorney counsel the better for you (and your family).  I recommend that, for your particular problem, you choose an older attorney who has years of experience. Ongoing uncertainty and lack of knowledge understandably breed an ever-increasing sense of fear.  Based on my personal experience, I believe that you will feel a sense of great relief and peace once you get this matter resolved and put to rest. All the best to you and your family.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.