What happens if you are charged with a misdemeanor after moving out of state?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if you are charged with a misdemeanor after moving out of state?

I am accused of stealing $300 from my employer and was terminated for this reason. I was not arrested but was told by the police that they would be in touch. It has been 6 weeks since my termination and I haven’t heard anything. I have a chance to move out of state to be near family and have a job lined up. Am I able to move out of state without notifying the police? If the state issues a warrant for my arrest after I move, will I be able to obtain a driver’s license in my new state and could I be arrested for the warrant if I get pulled over?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were terminated from your job and there are no pending criminal charges against you from the theft of the $300, you are free to move out of state with the knowledge that if criminal charges are filed against you in the county and state where you are presently, you will need to return to deal with the situation. You do not need to advise law enforcement of your move. You might consider retaining a criminal defense attorney in the event charges are filed against you.

If a warrant for your arrest is issued, you should have no problems getting a driver's license in your new state of residence. However, you could be arrested for any outstanding arrest warrant if you are stopped by law enforcement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption