If I have a violated a order of protection and can’t get to court, can Ihave a PD make the appearance for me?

I have a violated a order of protection and am supposed to go to court in the issuing state in about 2 weeks. However, I now live out of state and have little money to make it down to court. I did nothing wrong but make phone calls trying to talk to my children. Can I have a public defender stand in my place or do I actually have to go?

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the court appearance is a regular court appearance as opposed to an order to show cause directly against you, most likely you can have an attorney appear for you as your attorney of record.

You should probably contact an attorney about the upcoming hearing and make sure of the proper protocol for the upcoming hearing date as to whether you have to personally appear or you can have an attorney show in your place.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.