If I have a misdemeanor of contributing to the delinquency of a minor but don’t think I was convicted because my case was dismissed, do I need to have it expunged?

If so, do I really need a lawyer to have it expunged or can I do it myself? And what is the process if I’m able to do it myself?

Asked on February 18, 2015 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you were arrested for a misdemeanor that was later discharged, you appear not to have been convicted of a crime. However, your arrest record may still be on file; you'll need to check your criminal history record. If in fact your arrest must be cleared, then you can either do it yourself or hire an attorney to help.

First, you'll need to get a copy of your "rap" sheet; google the name of the state in which the incident occurred and the phrase "how to obtain a copy of your criminal hitory ecord". Once you've gotten your record, you will know if your arrest appears on it. If so, then you should google the state name and the word "expungement". Virtually all states have websites that give information on obtaining an expungement and the process for doing so. At that point you can decide whether or not you want to seek legal assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.