i have 3 days left on a 10 yr parole sentence and i am 5000 dollars away from paying off my restitution been told that i cant get off until its paid

is there any thing i can do besides come up wth 5000 so i can get off parole? i havent had a charge in 10 yrs this is the only thing on my record

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have to meet all requirements/conditions before you can be completely free.  Parole (unlike probation) is doing your jail time out of jail, essentially.

So at this point, you need to consult with the public defender and see if anything can be done.

If you prefer, try to hire a private criminal defense attorney to consult with the prosecutor's office or petition the court. Try www.attorneypages.com and check his or her record at the Louisiana State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.