I recieved a second DUI on probation. What consequnces am I looking at?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I recieved a second DUI on probation. What consequnces am I looking at?

I was convicted of my first DUI in March of 2008. Recieved work weekend program, completed all my classes and three years of probation. I recieved a second DUI June 2009. I am still on probation from the first DUI and I have not paid off the fines yet. I work two jobs, go to school, have attended A.A. meeting everyday since the second arrest and plan on never drinking again. I am getting independent counselling as well. What kind of consequences am I facing? How can I avoid jail time?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 15 years ago | Contributor

SECOND Offense within 10 years


2 options, both carrying a fine of $390 to $1000, plus either: (A) 10 days to 1 year in jail and a 2 year license suspension; or (B) 96 hours to 1 year in jail, an 18-month or 30-month alcohol/drug program, and for arrests prior to September 20, 2005, a license restriction allowing driving only for work and alcohol/drug program for the duration of the program. However, your license shall be suspended for 2 years if the offense occurred in a vehicle which requires a class 1, 2, A, or B license. Installation of interlocking device for up to 3 years. As a result of the court conviction, the DMV will suspend your license for 2 years, but a restricted license may be available after the first year of suspension.


90 days to 1 year in jail, $390 to $1000 fine, and a 2 year license suspension

Since the second DUI came only a year after the first and you were still on probation, I think that there's a good chance that you will get some jail time here.  You need to consult with an attorney that specializes in DUI cases.  Hopefully with their experience and contacts they will be able to minimized your penalties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption