I had H1b visa, and then I converted it to H4, and worked on H4 EAD, can I move back to H1B?

I had H1b visa, and then I converted it to H4, and I am working on H4 EAD. My H4
and EAD are expiring on June 20th 2017. I applied for extension, but haven’t yet
received it. Can I move back to H1B, if my employer agrees, and can I work on H1B
receipt?, so that I don’t get a break in my career ?


Asked on June 7, 2017 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You cannot work on a receipt because it would now be a change of status from h-4 to H-1b and for that you need to have an approval notice, but it can be done, of course, if the job is still open to you.  Why did you wait so long to apply for the H-4 ead extension?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.