If I had an accident on the job a few days ago, what are my options if my employer doesn’t want to pay me for the week the doctor recommend I not work?

This is in construction.

Asked on April 22, 2015 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't really have any options: your employer is not required to pay you for not working, even if your doctor recommends that you don't work. If you have any paid time off, you may be able to use it; otherwise, you may have to choose between following your doctor's advice or being paid. Employers are simply not required to pay for their employees to not work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.