I got pulled over for not signaling, I am a college student and have court next Thursday, I looking for any advice to reduce my ticket as much as possible?

Fail to signal

Asked on November 3, 2017 under General Practice, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Go to court when scheduled and speak to the prosecutor: the prosecutor has discretion to let you plead to a lesser offense. If you have clean record, stress that; be respectful and contrite; state any exculpatory circumstances, if there are any) but don't argue about them--just get those facts out there; indicate your willingness to take a defensive driving or similar course. If your main issue is avoiding points, state that: sometimes you can "trade off" a higher fine for no points.While a lesser plea cannot be guaranteed, if you have an otherwise-clean record, it is reasonably likely you will have the opportunity to plea to a lesser offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.