Can a ticket for possession be re-filed?

I got a ticket for possession of marijuana in the 2nd degree but the ticket that the trooper cited me was expired, so the case was dismissed. However, now it has been re-filed. This is my first offense nd I’m a juvenile. I want to know, is it legal that this was re-iled?

Asked on June 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Criminal claims also have statute of limitations just like civil claims. In the matter that you have written about the district attorney's office is entitled to refile a criminal matter IF the prior criminal matter was not dismissed with prejudice and if the statute of limitations to file such has not passed under the laws of all states in this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.