If I got my first and only DWI 2 years ago so they took my driver’s license, can I get it back and, if so, how?

I’m a mechanic and can’t work without it.

Asked on November 5, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have a couple of different options, depending on the status of your license.  If your license was suspended and that suspension period has passed, you just need to contact DPS and see what the fee is for getting your license reinstated.  You will also need to present proof of insurance during this process.

If your suspension is still active, then you can make an application for a hardship or occupational license.  It won't give you free reign to drive all the time, but it will authorize you to drive for employment related purposes.  You can do this without an attorney to help you, but an attorney can more than likely help you walk it through much quicker than doing it on your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.