What to do if I got fired because one of my co-workers put his hands on me and choked me while on the job?

One of my managers saw and reported him. My co-workers got fired and decided to sue because they didn’t do anything to me. The company didn’t want to deal with it so they decided to fire me instead. What can I do? Is this fair?

Asked on January 14, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given what you have written about you seemingly were retaliated by your employer resulting in your firing which appears to be illegal under the laws of all states in this country. I suggest that you consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative with your local department of labor to see what your legal recourse and options are.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is not fair; but unfortunately,  unless  you had an employment contract which would have prevented your termination in this case, it is legal. Without a contract, you were an employee at will; an employee at will may be fired at any time, for any reason--including that someone else is suing the employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.