How best to fight an out of state traffic ticket?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to fight an out of state traffic ticket?

My daughter was passing through PA on her way to VA and was pulled over because she was traveling in the left lane to get off the exit on the left lane. Supposedly there’s a law that you can’t stay in the left lane. She didn’t know, neither did I, and received over a $140 ticket. She won’t be able to go back to PA to fight the ticket, so I was wondering if I could call and explain the situation to the court to at least get the fine dropped or dismissed all together. She

didn’t even get a warning.

Asked on November 25, 2018 under General Practice, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you can only fight--or negotiate a plea--on a ticket in person, not by phone. If she appeared, there'd be a reasonable chance of getting the fine lowered (and or fewer points, if there are any points attached), assuming she has a clean or good record otherwise, but it is not likely to be worthwhile to go to court in PA. Bear in mind that "ignorance of the law" is no defense--not knowing that rule is not a defense to the ticket. That's why the best she could do would be to speak to the prosecutor, who generally is lenient about not dismissing, but reducing the fines, points, etc. for otherwise good drivers--but, as stated, that would have to be done in person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption