What to do about an incorrect pre-sentence report?

I’m awaiting sentencing and I have recently recieved a copy of my pre-sentence report. There are some things on there that serve no purpose but to make me look bad. I was not convicted or even questioned but there’s a statement that is incriminating. Is this legal?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A pre-sentence report is an independent assessment concerning the criminal matter that you have been charged with and presumably convicted of via a plea bargain deal designed to assist the judge in imposing the sentence that you will end up receiving for the crime charged against you. There is nothing you can do about the report. What you need to do is consult with your presumed criminal defense attorney about your matter and how to minimize the sentence you will end up with.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.