If I contracted someone to assist me with no compensation but this person broke their contract, am I legally obligated to reimburse expenses?

I just started a production company with a partner and after 3 months of a 6 month production my assistant left with no warning or say. It put me in a bind and cost me time and money to coordinate a replacement but I did. Now, 2 weeks later, he is demanding my business partner about reimbursement for expenses I never asked him to spend. I want to pay him back for anything reasonable, but he knew taking on the project that any reimbursement would take until the completion of the project. He is not an employee so I do not know what I am legally obligated to do.

Asked on July 28, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The first thing needed to be done is to carefully read any signed agreement that you and the other person signed concerning the project and look to see if there was anything mentioned about reimbursement of expenses in that such document would control the obligations owed between the two parties on the project.

If nothing is stated and expenses were incurred where the other party is no longer working on the project, you should quickly reimburse him or her for all reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred. From a business perspective it is better to pay the expenses and move on especially since the work done was "gratis".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.