What to do if I came here on F1 visa 14 years ago and overstayed?

I’ve been working under the table as a full-time and part-time/occasional nanny for different families for the past 10 years now. The last 5 years, I’ve a full-time nanny for just one family. I got married to a us citizen last year. We’re in the middle of filling out the forms for me to obtain a green card and on biographic form G-325A under employment for 5 years, do I write “full-time nanny” as my job description? NOTE: I never filed my taxes ever; on other forms, questions regarding “household income” my husband just wrote his annual income and under spouse”N/A”. I just don’t want to declare that I have an income.

Asked on March 1, 2015 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As long as you entered the US lawfully and can document that lawful entry and are getting married to a US citizen, any prior unlawful presence and unlawful employment will be forgiven.  Therefore, you can indicate on the forms where and how long you had worked because it will not affect you getting your status adjusted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.