If I bought a house with my boyfriend but we have now broken up, what are my options for removing my name from the home and protecting myself financially?

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Once you sign on the dotted line, you're on the hook for the debt until it's paid off.  If he's going to keep the house, then he should refinance the house in his name only so as to get you off the note and eventual title.  His incentive for getting a new note -- solo-- is that if he does pay of the house, then as long as your name is on it, then it would be considered partly your property-- meaning a windfall for you.  Another option is to put house up for sale.  If it does sell, you would be entitled to half of the proceeds, if any.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.