If I believe my husband married me for a green card/US citizenship, what happens if I file for divorce?

We have been married for 2 years and 1 month.

Asked on February 29, 2012 under Immigration Law, Oregon


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on whether you can prove that to USCIS.  If you can, then he may not be eligible for an unconditional green card.  However, if he can prove that the marriage was bona fide at the time it was entered into and through its termination, he may be able to get the conditions of his green card removed even if he is no longer married to you at the time he files for that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.