What to do if I’m trying to obtain a copy of my grandfather’s Will?

Asked on October 20, 2013 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Is your Grandfather already passed away or is he still alive?  If he is still alive then you really have no way of doing so unless it is given to you voluntarily.  If, however, he has already passed then you can wait to obtain a copy from the probate court when the probate petition is filed.  Once filed a will becomes a public record.  It is filed in the probate court in the county in which he resided at the time of his death.  Now, if you are a beneficiary under the will or at law you should receive a copy with a notice that the petition is being filed (generally called a Citation) or a copy with a Waiver of Notice.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.