If I am the victim of an on-going investigation against a sex offender, do I have the legal right to not say anything?

It is an investigation against someone who impersonated a teenager over the internet and who made intimate relationships with. I was one of the intimate relationships.

Asked on March 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The Fifth Amendment to the Constitution gives you the right to not incriminate yourself. That means, you have the right to "remain silent" and not respond to questions or otherwise say anything if doing so would tend to incriminate you criminally, or give rise to criminal liability. So you probably do have the right to not say anything to the authorities--not that that prevents them from investigating or prosecuting based on other evidence. If you haven't alread, retain a criminal defense attorney with experience in this area IMMEDIATELY--the potential consequences are enormous, and include jail time and being put on sex offender registries. You need advice, counsel, and representation to defend yourself, or at least mitigate any penalties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.