If my mother and I have been staying in my grandfather house for about 25 years, how can I go about getting the house change over to my name?

My mother have been paying the house taxes for the 12-15 years. My father past about 6 years ago and my mother is 74 years old.

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your grandfather need to consult with a real estate attorney who practices in the area of Wills and trusts to discuss his desires regarding the property. If he wishes to give the home to you, it is best that it be passed to you via a Will or a trust upon his passing. The reason is that upon his passing if you get it in a Will or trust you get a stepped up basis which benefits you tax-wise if you ever wish to sell the property. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.