What can I do if my ex-boyfriend and I bought a house together and I want to sell it but he does not?

Asked on July 13, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Rhode Island


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

When co-owners of real estate cannot agree as to ownership matters, there is a legal remedy called "partition". Pursuant to such an action, if the court can equally divide the property it will do so. However, if the property in question cannot be divided as a practical matter (such as when it is a house) then the court will order a sale. However, the party who wants to keep it will have to offered the them first. They can then buy out the other party at fair maket value. If they can't or won't purchase it, then the property will be sold on the open market and the proceeds will be equitably distributed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.