How do I collect on a divorce settlement?

I am recently divorced and the judge signed my divorce papers stating my ex-wife will pay me $X . My ex has now moved out of the state. Is this a lost cause? Looking at $24K that is why I am asking. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not a lost cause.  You have two options depending.  First, when you say digned the divorce papers do you mean that  you entered in to a settlement agreement that was incorporated in to the order of divorce?  The agreement is a contract and you can collect by suing based upon same.  You can also bring a motion to hold her in contempt.  Now, she has moved out of state which makes suing her and obtaining jurisdiction a bit tougher but not impossible.  Once youobtain a judgement against her you can file it in the state in which she now resides and execut on it as per that state law: levy, garnishment, etc.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.