If I’m on an H1b and working for a company but want to start my own company, what is a legal way for me to be a stakeholder without working for it?

I am planning, along with 2 other friends, to start an LLC, at the same time while keeping our existing jobs. We all plan to own 33.33% of the company. I have read that I can be an investor or board member. However, I need some more info on what to call myself when we file a LLC. Again I don’t wish to leave my existing job and work for this new company. I just want to be a stakeholder.

Asked on November 14, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can set up a new company or be a part owner of a new company however you are not permitted to work for that company or derive any income from it through work.� Passive investment is permitted but not any activities that can be construed as work and that could be seen as the basis for the income.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.