Can I be held responsible if my wife’s son causes damage or injury with a car that she bought for him but is registered in her name?

I am married and my wife’s son lives in another state. On a recent visit, she bought a car for him to drive but put it in her name since he has no driver’s license due to a prior DUI. All assets of my marriage ,house car ect. , are in my name.

Asked on March 28, 2015 under Accident Law, West Virginia


Gregory Abbott / Consumer Law Northwest

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

She bought him a car to drive, knowing his driver's license had been suspended because of a DUII?  She clearly needs an attorney, both in regards to the damages and possibly, depending upon the exact facts, in regards to potential criminal charges.  Assets that are only in your name are likely safe assuming they and you are not in a community property state but this can all get complicated and you may want to review it all with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.