If I’m international student who is currently out of status due to family reasons, what are my chances of regaining my status?

Last year, my dad faced some financial problems and I couldn’t continue my fall semester in a private college. I was scheduled to start in the winter semester in but my sister was in a horrible accident and I was the only that could take care of her.

Asked on August 1, 2015 under Immigration Law, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You should contact your school's dean's office and see if the dean's office can help you obtain free help to regain your status. Ultimately, the school should be able to give you the resources to obtain the correct information to pursue proper status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.