If I’m putting together a parenting agreement with my ex, is there a way for me to have a liasion serve as communicator between us afterward?

Meaning I never have to speak to her again or hear from her except when it pertains to our son and then only thru the liasion? Does something like this exist? How can I get more information about it?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can have a liason act on your behalf with your "ex" so that you do not have to deal with her again. Ordinarily such would be a family law attorney in your situation. However, my experience is that for the good of your children it is necessary to have some semblance of civility with your "ex" down the road in dealing with her even though now it seems difficult.

You cannot legally hire a non-attorney to do such in that what you seek ordinarily mandates a legal license to do where representing you could very well be the practice of law by the liason that you desire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.