How can I have my son’s father removed from his birth certificate?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I have my son’s father removed from his birth certificate?

My son’s father is listed on the birth certificate because he showed up to the hospital on the day of the birth. He has never been seen since. He has never tried to get custody or rights for our son. I have never requested child support and I want nothing to do with him. My son is now 8 years old. Is there a statue of limitations? Can I have him removed without having to meet with him in court? I have no idea where he is.

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is unlikely that you would be able to have his name removed absent the adoption of your son by a step parent. If done volunatily or by terminating his parental rights, you could then probably file an amended birth certificate.  I know that you want nothing to do with him but it is what it is.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption