If I’m currently on a J1 intern/trainee working visa which is valid for another 7 months, what are my options if I want to extend it so as to stay here longer and gain more experience?

I am from Ireland and have been in the UA for 18 months. I am working in my field and would like to extend my visa.

Asked on August 3, 2014 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to do this through the organization that sponsored your J-1 visa to begin with because only they or another J-1 sponsor organization can provide you with the forms for you to be able to extend your stay in the US in J-1 status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.