If I am dissatisfied with my court appointed lawyer because I feel that he/she is not defending me properly, how do I get another lawyer appointed to me?

Asked on October 21, 2014 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, yes, you can request that the court appoint a different lawyer if you feel that you have "inadequate" counsel. That does not mean that you and he or she just generally disagree.  It really has to be fundamental to your defense. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.