If I’m currently receiving temporary income benefits via worker’s comp and my wife has been offered a job in a different state so we are moving, do I legally have to return to my previous employer or is it mutual discretion?

Asked on September 6, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you are permitted to change jobs while receiving worker's compensation and you will not have to return any benefits. So you do have the right to move. However, there are some paperwork or notification requirements to comply with. You are advised to consult with a worker's compensation attorney and let him or her guide you and help with some of the paperwork, etc. If you cannot afford to do this or choose not to, then call the labor department and find out what you need to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.