When is the earliest I can apply for citizenship?

I am an 86 year old US legal permanent resident and have been for over 3 years. I have been physically present in the US for about 2 years since then. I was sponsored by my US citizen son. Is it possible to do it early because of my age?

Asked on November 14, 2013 under Immigration Law, Kentucky


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, no.  You have to be a permanent resident for 5 years, of which 2.5 years have to be physically present in the US in order to be eligible for naturalization.  YOu have to wait until that time in order to apply.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.