I am a residential desk clerk and am planning my first vacation. My question-the owners want to live in my on-site apartment, do I have to let them?

The owners want me to move my belongings(microwave, coffee-maker, etc) out of my kitchen and any personal belongings out of my living room, so they can live and cook there for the week that I am gone. They want me to lock my things in my bedroom. Then on the day I get back to Iowa I would only be allowed to live in my bedroom. No access to the other two rooms. Or I can rent a room someplace. I would like to be able to come and go from my apartment as I please during my vacation. Do I have to let them live there or can they use one of the rental rooms or sleep on the rollaway in the laundry rm

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If it's their property, then generally speaking, they can determine its use--so they can use your space if they choose. The exception would be if you have something in writing--an employment contract, a rental agreement (if you pay rent), etc. which limits their access. However, without anything in writing limiting the owner's rights over the space, they can re-assign the space, including to themselves.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.