What to do if I can’t pay my court ordered child support?

I am a father going through a divorce and was ordered to pay child support. I was collecting unemployment out of which I paid 2 months until it ended. I filed a motion in court for a modification which was denied. I am still without work or income. I received a violation of the order and not sure what steps to take.

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, New Mexico


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since you have been served with an order to show cause regarding contempt of a court order due to your inability to pay a child support order, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to discuss the best way to defend the matter against you.

For you to appear in court alone on the matter you have written about you most likely will end up with an adverse decision against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.