What canI do if my husband has my POA and we are on the verge of a divorce?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if my husband has my POA and we are on the verge of a divorce?

My husband did the power of attorney years ago for work and shares and everything. He signs for me most of the time; everything is in his hands. He controls all that I own. How can I be sure of what he is doing? I am a foreigner and we have 3 kids. Now he is telling me that he will make me live in hell. Please help me.

Asked on April 2, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to immediately revoke the power of attorney.   Your revocation would say,

I________ (your name) hereby revoke the power of attorney held by ___________ (your husband's name) effective _________ (date).

Signed___________ (your name)


It would be advisable to have the date of revocation be the date you sign the document so that it takes effect immediately and your husband cannot do anything further that is adverse to your interests.

You can include a proof of service and mail the revocation with the proof of service to your husband.  The proof of service just says that you are over 18 and the attached document was sent via first class mail unless otherwise specified to __________ (name and address of your husband) on ________ (date).  You sign at the bottom under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct. Also include the date that you sign the proof of service next to your name.  The date you sign the proof of service should be the same date you mail it with the attached revocation of the power of attorney.  The proof of service just verifies the date of mailing.

An alternative to mailing the proof of service and revocation of the power of attorney would be to hand deliver it your husband.  The proof of service would then say that it was hand delivered to ____ (your husband's name) on ________ (date) and you would delete the part I mentioned above about sending it via first class mail.

Keep a copy of the revocation of the power of attorney and proof of service for your records in case your husband denies in the future that the power of attorney was revoked.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption