How to refuse to testify against spouse in criminal tial?

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are a spouse and you are being asked to testify, then you need to respond that you are invoking the husband-wife privilege per TRE 504.  That is a specific response and invocation of the marital privilege.  However, keep in mind that you could still be compelled to testify depending on the nature of the communication and the nature of the offense for which your spouse is on trial for.  Texas does recognize the husband-wife privilege, but does not allow it to be used in cases where the statements are made in "furtherance of a crime or fraud," or if they involve statements regarding a crime against the other spouse or a minor child. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.