How do I get to talk to a judge so I can take my son out of state during a legal separation?

The vacation was planned prior separation. My husband agreed to me taking our son to visit my family out of state. However, once he saw the paperwork he decided I can’t go just to hurt me. He is currently not seeing our son (his choice). How can I plead my case to a judge?

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What paperwork?  The legal separation paperwork?  If so, it sounds like there is a case in family court.  If so, you can file a request with the court.  It is unclear to me how your husband "decided" you can't go, and this decision is affecting your ability to go.  If your son is with you, why does he have power to decide what you do?  If you do not have a lawyer, I strongly advise you to hire one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.