How to get my husband a work permit after marriage?

My fiance and I are getting married  next month. What are the steps we need to take to get him a work permit and to make him become a green card holder? He is in the US legally. He came when he was 2 and is waiting for his number to come up for the green card but we are getting married.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Immigration Law, Louisiana


Dustin Bankston / Bankston Immigration Law Office

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

After you marry, you and your husband need to file an adjustment of status application.  You can send in an application for a work permit along with the adjustment of status application.  He will get his work permit ID card after you send the application in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.