How to find out if your deceased parent left you a Trust, Will and/or family inheritance to the child

Asked on March 16, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  WHile finding out if there is a Trust document is much more difficult, finding out about the Will is not.  A Will must be filed to be followed in the Probate Court in the county in which the decedent resided at the time of his or her death.  That file is a public record and you can see what it says and what was done.  But undestand that you as a child should receive notice of both a Will being offered for probate or a Trust document even if you are not named. So you should find out.  I would speak with a local attorney if you are concerned that you have not gotten the proper notice to which you are entitled. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.